When you have something that can improve your smile, boost your confidence, improve your facial shape, restore the function of your teeth, improve the way you talk, and more, of course you’re going to want to reap these benefits!
These are just some of the high points of wearing dentures but having the stability of a secure fit is crucial to maximizing your set. That’s where dental adhesive comes in! Dental adhesive can provide a temporary attachment to your gums that increases stability and creates a seal that prevents particles from getting trapped between your teeth and gums.
Read on to learn from your dentist in Sebastian how to prep your dentures for adhesive, signs you should be using denture adhesive, and how to remove it from your restoration.
How Do You Prepare Your Dentures for Using Adhesive?
Your dentures should be able to stay in place for most of the day if properly positioned, though some people may find they need to apply adhesive throughout the day. If your dentures are becoming loose frequently, you should speak to your dentist about advice for a better fit.
To ensure your dentures are ready to receive the adhesive and provide a quality fit, consider these tips:
- Right before applying adhesive, make sure dentures were sufficiently cleaned the last time you removed them
- When not in your mouth, store dentures in a sturdy case or glass full of water/disinfectant
- Avoid bleaching or whitening products that could weaken dentures
- Brush dentures thoroughly at least once a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste
- Rinse dentures with water to remove debris or food matter
Signs That You Need to Use Dental Adhesive
Consider using dental adhesive if you want to:
- Enhance the strength of adhesion if you put a strain on your face – singers, teachers, athletes, public speakers, etc.
- Alleviate problems with adhesion due to dry mouth
- Improve confidence in your dentures by increasing their strength and hold, along with your bite and sense of comfort
How Do You Remove Adhesive from Your Dentures?
Here are four methods to remove adhesive from your dentures while also cleaning up any adhesive remaining in your mouth:
- Toothbrush: Use a soft-bristle toothbrush to remove any lingering adhesive from your gums. Put a small amount of nonabrasive toothpaste on the brush and brush your gums gently with it.
- Saline solution: Rinse your mouth with a mixture of salt and water – mix half a teaspoon of salt into a cup of water until dissolved.
- Mouthwash: It not only freshens your breath and improves your oral health; mouthwash can loosen denture adhesive and rinse away residue.
- Warm water: If you cannot remove your dentures easily, rinse your mouth with warm water. After dentures have been removed, repeat 2-3 times to remove residue.
Not all denture wearers need adhesive, but for those who do, it can help them maximize the benefits of wearing dentures. If needed, asking your Sebastian dentist for advice on using denture adhesive is an excellent idea!
About the Practice
At Sebastian Dental, we believe we have the friendliest dental team you’ll find, and we strive to make your visit enjoyable. We will help you get the most out of your dental insurance benefits, and if you ever need an emergency dentist, we’ll be ready to help. If you are interested in dentures in Sebastian, we offer full dentures, partials, and implant dentures. To get started, you can schedule a consultation on our website or by calling (772) 388-0088.